Dating a Runner? 20 Things to Know About Your Partner
By Keri Mandell
Are you dating a runner? Maybe even married one? Or are you thinking about getting involved with someone who runs? Well dating a runner tends to add a new dimension to romance and your relationship.
Here are some tips to know before you start dating a runner and some grips you need to come to if you’re already involved with one.
- Runners have more exercise clothes than street clothes.
- They have a large collection of running shoes.
- They love their high-knee compression socks.
- It’s a special event when they put on “real” clothes and when ladies put on a “real” bra.
- You start to accept their really worked feet and are happy to treat them to a pedicure in order to help hide their missing or black toenails.
- Sleeping in on the weekends is an obsolete notion. They will always want to get up and run. Don’t expect them to lay in bed and cuddle.
- You wake up to the alarm and think, “Another run, when’s rest day?”
- Rest day is the worst day of the week for runners … approach carefully and beware!
- They have a special drawer or cabinet (or both) for their fuel, headphones, arm bands, running belts, sunglasses, headbands, hats, etc. It could be the nightstand.
- Get used to sweaty, salty hugs. There will be a lot of them.
- Laundry day means separate loads for running clothes.
- Your vacations are often in conjunction with a destination race (Why not make it the Jersey Shore?).
- Just because you’re on vacation does not mean they will stop running.
- When traveling, your significant other needs a separate suitcase for all of his or her running gear.
- It’s easy to shop for birthdays or holidays, because runners always want new running gear.
- Their idea of nice jewelry is a medal or an inspirational pendant or bracelet.
- You don’t mess with pre-race rituals.
- You love joining them for their post-race feast!
- They love to talk about running, races, PRs (personal records). They use jargon you aren’t aware of, but quickly learn to understand.
- You love their crazy, quirky side and are happy to celebrate their victories with them!
It’s fun to be in a relationship with a runner. Just remember, runners are always on the move.
Think you can keep up?